On Saturday, October 10th and Sunday October 11th, come out and celebrate the Maker Movement at Maker Faire Pittsburgh. The Maker Movement is an extension of DIY culture and includes technology, art, craft, electronics, engineering, and other projects created by makers themselves. Maker Faire Pittsburgh is designed to be a community-based learning event that inspires you to become a maker yourself!
In the Time Magazine article “Why the Maker Movement Is Important to America’s Future,” they found Adweek’s definition of the Maker Movement to be “right on the money”:
The maker movement, as we know, is the umbrella term for independent inventors, designers and tinkerers. A convergence of computer hackers and traditional artisans, the niche is established enough to have its own magazine, Make, as well as hands-on Maker Faires that are catnip for DIYers who used to toil in solitude. Makers tap into an American admiration for self-reliance and combine that with open-source learning, contemporary design and powerful personal technology like 3-D printers. The creations, born in cluttered local workshops and bedroom offices, stir the imaginations of consumers numbed by generic, mass-produced, made-in–China merchandise.
Maker Faire Pittsburgh will showcase 200 exhibits, performances, and presentations including 3-D printing, CNC, electronics, art, craft, hands-on workshops, automotive, robotics, entrepreneurship, environmentalism, education, and more. Additionally, there will be:
- An Education Zone featuring a series of presentations and hands-on workshops on how to incorporate making and STEAM in primary, secondary, and post-secondary education
- The Innovation Works Zone, including 10 groundbreaking startups from across the region (Sponsored by Innovation Works)
- A dedicated Workshop area with hands-on workshops on subjects ranging from coding to concrete
- The Market @ The Faire, the place to find and buy locally made wares from jewelry, home goods, soap and more! Support the local handmade economy at The Market (Organized by Assemble)
- Presentations, performances, food and more!
You can learn more about Maker Faire Pittsburgh at their website. This event takes place at Nova Place, Buhl Community Park, and the Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh.
Get your tickets now here!